Discussion topics

The English Farm | Golden Week Sale - Get 10% OFF

Visuals: Cigarette sales in the US

Around 18 billion cigarettes are sold around the world every day. In the United States alone, it is estimated that cigarette-related healthcare costs exceed USD $300 billion per year. However, the sale of cigarettes in the US has had an interesting history over the past century.

Please have a look at the chart below and discuss what you see with your teacher.

Discussion: 
How would you describe the evolution of the sale of cigarettes in the US over the past 100 years? Do Homework
Does your government regulate the sale of cigarettes in your country? Do Homework
Do you smoke? Have you smoked in the past? Do Homework
Our environment is filled with carcinogens. What are some other common carcinogens? Do Homework

Practice English with cryptograms

Decoding cryptograms is a great way to sharpen your English. A cryptogram with a simple substitution code is fairly easy to decipher, but it forces you to think carefully about spelling and vocabulary. As your English improves, you can move on to harder codes, like ones that don't put spaces in between the words so you have to figure out yourself where one word ends and the next begins.

This simple code uses the English alphabet. Letters are swapped for letters:

Decode this sentence:  "B l f   x z m   g l g z o o b   w l   g s r h !"

Did you get it right? The answer is in the last discussion question.

Were you aware that you practiced English spelling, vocabulary, and colloquial expressions by decoding that saying?

When I was kid, a code that my sisters and I used a lot comes from the Sherlock Holmes mystery story, "The Adventure of the Dancing Men", published in 1903. The mystery begins when a character starts receiving messages written in a code made of stick figures. The code was so popular with readers that it's been used ever since. It looks like this:

Can you decipher the sentence above the code? (The answer is also in the last discussion question.)

There are lots of other kinds of word puzzles you can use to practice English: jumbled words or sentences, word search (finding words from a list in a grid of letters), Words with Friends, and on and on. No matter what your level of English is, you can find games to play. When practicing is fun, you'll want to do it all the time!

Discussion: 
What did you think of the cryptograms? Were they challenging? Do Homework
What fun ways have you found to practice English? Which do you use the most often? Do Homework
Have you ever wanted to be a spy? Would you be a good one? Do Homework
How is learning a new language like breaking a code? Do Homework
[ANSWERS TO CRYPTOGRAMS, written backwards so you won't accidentally see them before trying it yourself : "!siht do yllatot nac uoY"; "!gnihctaw si enoon ekil ecnaD" Do Homework

Visuals: Computer games heroes

When computer games appeared, men were their target comsumer. Games were created for men, and the main characters in games—protagonists—were mostly men too. Women were mostly presented as characters who needed help. For instance, Mario and Princess Peach. 

Recently, the gaming industry has started targeting women too. More female protagonists are appearing.

Look at the graphs below and discuss them with your teacher.

Discussion: 
Please present the graphs to your teacher. Do Homework
Please compare and contrast the two graphs. Do Homework
What do the graphs mean for the gaming industry? Do Homework
What do you think of video games? Do Homework
Are protagonists important for you in a game? Do Homework
What games are popular in your country? Do Homework

Visuals: Time we spend on phones

Since smartphones first connected us to the Internet, the time we spend on our phones has been increasing. 

2020 showed us that our whole life can be on the Internet. It is no longer a tool to work. It is something that gives us a voice, an opportunity to build relationships and connect with people. Some people find this useful. Others are worried about developing Internet addiction—when people use the Internet so much that other areas of their lives are damaged (relationships, work, studies, etc...) The American Academy of Pediatrics even proposed the idea of Facebook Depression. It is when people compare themselves with what they see on mass media platforms, and they feel incomplete, depressed and unhappy. 

Most of us have the Internet in our pocket at all times. That means our media consumption and screen time has changed significantly over the last decade.

Please have a look at the graph below about American media consumption.

Discussion: 
Present the graph to your teacher Do Homework
How has Covid changed the time we spend online? Do Homework
Why are mobile phones becoming so popular? Do Homework
How much time do you think you spend online? Do Homework
Do you want to reduce the time you spend online? Do Homework
Have you ever experienced so-called Facebook Depression? Do Homework

Visuals: Kids and vaccines

Vaccines can be a controversial issue in some cultures. For instance, according to the Washington Post, in the United States, 9 per cent of adults oppose vaccinating children against measles. Also, many people believe that the coronavirus vaccines are not safe.

Countries have different policies regarding whether it should be mandatory to vaccinate children. Have a look at the map below and discuss what you see with your teacher.

Discussion: 
Please present the map to your teacher. Do Homework
What is your opinion of mandatory vaccination of children? How about adults? Do Homework
Is vaccination an issue of personal choice or public health? Do Homework
What are some challenges that your government is facing in vaccinating the population against Coivd-19? Do Homework

Earth's new ocean

According to the National Geographic Society, Earth now has a new ocean: the Southern Ocean.

Geographers have debated whether the waters around Antarctica had enough unique characteristics to deserve their own name, or whether they were simply cold, southern extensions of the Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian Oceans. 

With a range stretching the circumference of Antarctica to the 60-degrees South latitudinal line, the Southern Ocean “encompasses unique and fragile marine ecosystems that are home to wonderful marine life such as whales, penguins, and seals,” explains National Geographic’s Enric Sala. The region includes such creatures as migrating humpback whales and many different seabirds.

Many oceanographers and other scientists have referred to the area as the Southern Ocean for years, with the US Board on Geographic Names having designated the separate region as such over two decades ago. The National Geographic Society’s new designation will hopefully raise awareness to conservation efforts in the region.

Scientists are currently studying how human-driven climate change is altering the Southern Ocean. Ocean water moving through its current is warming, but it is unclear how much this is impacting Antarctica.

Discussion: 
Please summarize this article in three sentences. Do Homework
Are you interested in geography and/or oceanography? Why or why not? Do Homework
Is it important to conserve marine life? Why or why not? Does it have an impact on people? Do Homework

Japan introduces a 4-day work week

According to the Japan Times, the Japanese government plans to encourage firms to allow their employees to choose to work four days a week instead of five, aiming to improve the balance between work and life for people who have family care responsibilities.

The coronavirus pandemic has helped the idea of a four-day workweek gain traction as the health crisis has caused people to spend more time at home.

Experts are divided, however, on whether the new initiative, intended to address challenges posed by Japan’s labor shortage, will be widely accepted. Labor and management are both voicing concerns about possible unwanted outcomes.

For employers, while people working four days a week may become more motivated, this may not improve their productivity enough to compensate for the lost workday. An expected advantage is helping people with family care responsibilities avoid the need to quit their jobs.

Among major economies, Australian, Canadian, Italian and US employees report working longer hours than Japanese. However, Japan’s labor market remains rigid, with productivity showing limited improvement as people take fewer holidays compared to other developed countries, and labor mobility stays low.

Discussion: 
Please summarize this article in three sentences. Do Homework
What is your opinion of a four-day work week? Do you agree with the advantages and disadvantages outlined in this article? Are there other ones? Do Homework
In your view, do Japanese employees use their time efficiently? Do you? Do Homework
What are some positive and negative effects of a long-working-hours culture? Do Homework

Cities are designed for tall men

According to The Guardian, the renowned Swiss architect Le Corbusier developed a system that has shaped much of the world. It dictates everything from the height of a door handle to the scale of a staircase. But the system, Le Modulor, developed in the 1940s, was created with a handsome six-foot-tall British policeman in mind. So all sizes are governed by the need to make everything as convenient as possible for Le Corbusier’s ideal man.

The system's influence even extended to the size of city blocks, since these responded to the size and needs of the car the ideal man drove to work.

By the 1980s, some women had had enough. After decades of struggling with prams and shopping trolleys, navigating dark underpasses, blind alleyways and subways in the cities mostly made by men, it was time for a different approach.

“Through lived experience,” wrote the Matrix Feminist Design Co-operative, when they launched their manifesto in 1981, “women have a different perspective of their environment from the men who created it. Because there is no ‘women’s tradition’ in building design, we want to explore the new possibilities that the recent change in women’s lives and expectations have opened up.” 

Discussion: 
Please summarize this article in a few sentences. Do Homework
Is your city designed for six-foot-tall men? If not, who do you think is the "ideal person" your city is designed for? Do Homework
How can city design take into account the varied needs of urban inhabitants? Do Homework
What is an urban design you really like? Which one do you dislike? Do Homework

Visuals: Falling sperm count

In 2017, Shanna Swan and Hagai Levine, along with six other researchers, estimated the average sperm count for 43,000 men in 55 countries across the world. The data, from 185 previously published studies, suggest that sperm counts fell by about 25% between 1973 and 2011. They found that sperm counts had in fact fallen by about 50% in Western countries over the period. Although the data were less plentiful, similar trends were observed in developing countries, too.

Please have a look at the chart below and discuss what you see with your teacher.

Discussion: 
What do the circles in the chart represent? Do Homework
Please present this chart to your teacher. Do Homework
Can you think of reasons for the decreased sperm counts in Western nations? Do Homework
What are the consequences of decreased fertility on society in general? Do Homework
What effects is depopulation having on your country? What kind of effects do you think it will have in 20 years? Do Homework

Succeeding in sports

When I was a child, my mother wanted me to be elegant. She sent me to dance class. I didn’t like it. I cried before the class because I didn’t want to do it. But my mother didn’t allow me to quit. After five years of dancing, I finally stopped going to the classes. I never participated in any concerts, even though everyone else from this dance club did several times. I wasn’t good enough. I felt like a failure.

After dancing, I didn’t come back to sports until I was in university.

When I was doing my third year in university, I tried Thai boxing (Muay Thai). I loved it. Now I am training 5 times a week and preparing for my first competition. It has become a very big hobby of mine. Thai boxing brings me lots of benefits, such as a good mood, self-confidence, great physical shape and a lot of friends. It doesn’t bring me any money and it does not promote me in my career. But it is something I love. Finally, I feel I have succeeded.

Discussion: 
Do you think dancing is elegant? Do Homework
Why did the author's mother want her to be elegant? Do Homework
Why do you think the author prefers Muay Thai to dancing? Do Homework
Did you do any sports when you were young? Why or why not? Do Homework
Should parents encourage their children to do sports? If so, how? Do Homework
What do you do for exercise now? Do Homework

Murakami's "First Person Singular"

National Public Radio (NPR), a publicly-funded American news organization, held an interview with the famous Japanese author Haruki Murakami about his new collection of stories, First Person Singular. In this collection, Murakami writes in the first-person singular “I” perspective.

Murakami said, "There's a long tradition in modern Japanese literature of the autobiographical, so-called I-novel, the idea that sincerity lies in honestly and openly writing about your life, making a kind of self-confession. I'm opposed to that idea and wanted to create my own 'first personal singular' writing."

Murakami goes on to explain that he often writes characters based on his personal experiences and rewrites them multiple times to the point that the experiences become fictional and hard to recognize from his own life.

Like a lot of his other works, this new collection uses magical realism, a literary device in which magical and surreal things occur and characters accept them as completely normal.

Discussion: 
Have you ever read a Haruki Murakami book? Can you summarize the plot in a few sentences? Do Homework
Do you prefer to read fiction or non-fiction? Why? Do Homework
What was your favourite book as a child? Have you read it again as an adult? If so, what changed in your perception of the story? Do Homework

A peak experience

The idea of "peak experiences" was created by psychologist Abraham Maslow in the mid-20th century. Such experiences inspire feelings of intense happiness. They are said to give you a sense that you're one with all of creation.

I've had a few peak experiences. The one I think about the most happened about 20 years ago. At the time I lived in the southwest desert of the United States. About an hour from our home was a small lake called Whitewater Draw where tens of thousands of Sandhill cranes spend the winter. Sandhill cranes are the oldest living bird species, going back at least 2.5 million years. I used to go visit them every year.

On this particular visit, the cranes had come in for their afternoon siesta. Thousands of them were gathered around the little lake. All of a sudden, they all took off at the same time, lifting up to fill the sky overhead. The other few visitors and I gasped. We stood stock-still, watching 10,000 cranes circle above our heads, calling to each other with their million-year-old croak.  In that moment, I felt like there was no separation between me and them.

When the birds started to settle back down, the other visitors and I all looked at each other in amazement and then smiled the same smile. For that brief time, there was no separation between us, either.

Discussion: 
Summarize the idea of a peak experience in 2 simple sentences. Do Homework
Have you ever had a peak experience? If so, describe it. Do Homework
What place or activity makes you feel the most connected with the world? Do Homework
The author describes the Sandhill cranes' call as "their million-year-old croak". Listen to it: "Whitewater Draw AZ Sandhill Cranes" (https://youtu.be/ngwZmQWWA_A). How would you describe it? Do Homework

Digital privacy and advertisements

According to The Economist, in April 2021, Apple, which supplies one-fifth of the world’s smartphones and around half of the United States', introduced a software update that will end targeted advertisement by companies. Its latest mobile operating system forces apps to ask users if they want to be tracked. Many are expected to decline. It is the latest privacy move forcing marketers to rethink how they target online ads.

By micro-profiling audiences and monitoring their behavior, digital-ad platforms claim to solve advertisers’ problem of not knowing which half of their budget is being wasted. According to Group M, the world’s largest media buyer, in the past decade, digital ads have gone from less than 20% of the global ad market to more than 60%.

Stronger privacy protections may make corporate ads less effective. In 2018, the EU imposed its General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) making it harder to harvest user data. Since 2020, Apple’s Safari web browser has blocked the “cookies” that advertisers use to see what people do online.

Discussion: 
How can companies rethink the way they advertise in the 21st century? Do Homework
Do you support targeted advertisement? How do you feel when you receive ads based on your online behavior? Do Homework
Should online privacy protections be strengthened in your country? Why or why not? Do Homework

Visuals: COVID-19 vaccination rates

Vaccination against the COVID-19 virus started in December 2020. It has progressed at an unequal rate around the world. As of late April 2021, only a few million people had received a vaccination in the whole of the African continent, while over 200 million Americans had been vaccinated.

However, for some smaller countries, the situation can change very quickly.

Please take a look at the graph below and discuss what you see with your teacher. 

Discussion: 
Present this graph to your teacher. Do Homework
Bhutan managed to vaccinate most of its population in a week. How do you think that's possible? Do Homework
Which parts of the world are absent from this graph? Why? Do Homework
What is your opinion of your country’s vaccination campaign? Do Homework

What is great listening?

According to the Harvard Business Review (HBR), people often think they are better listeners than in actuality. They believe good listening means just a few things: not talking when others are speaking, letting others know you are listening through facial expressions and verbal sounds (e.g., Mm-hmm), and being able to repeat what others have said.

HBR analyzed data describing the behavior of 3,492 participants in a development program designed to help managers become better coaches. The study concluded that good listening is much more than being silent while the other person talks.

People perceive the best listeners to be those who periodically ask questions that promote discovery and insight. Good listening also includes interactions that build a person’s self-esteem. The best listeners make the conversation a positive experience for the other party, which does not happen when the listener is passive.

Good listening happens in a cooperative conversation. Feedback flows smoothly in both directions. Neither party becomes defensive or takes the spotlight for themselves.

Finally, good listeners tend to make suggestions. It always includes some feedback provided in a manner others can accept and that opens up alternative paths to consider.

Discussion: 
Please summarize this article in 3 sentences. Do Homework
What is your opinion of the described characteristics of good listening? Do Homework
Do you consider yourself a good listener? Why or why not? Do Homework
Are good listening skills necessary in leadership positions? What happens when leaders fail to listen to others? Do Homework

Short film: "Float", and metaphor

Eli Fucile and Bobby Rubio in Float (2019)

First, make a choice about how to watch the film. It is about 7 minutes. You have a few options.

1. Watch the film before the lesson as pre-study homework.
  2. Watch part of the film in the lesson.
  3. Watch the whole film in the lesson. 
    • If you choose to watch the film, please do your best to describe and discuss it as you watch. There's almost no dialog, so you can easily talk while watching.

This discussion topic is based on a short film by Pixar, called "Float". It uses metaphor to express a complex truth in simple terms.

What is a metaphor? It's saying one thing is another thing, but it's not literally true. Here are some examples:

• Time is money.
  • My colleague is a lion.
  • That meeting was a killer.
  • The train station was so busy. There was a sea of people.

Metaphors explain something by comparing it to something else that has similar qualities. The words or images represent something else.

This short film, "Float", uses the metaphor of a child who floats in the air. It represents any child who is different from others, either in the way they look or act, or both. Think of a child with disabilities. How do people feel when they meet a child like that? What is it like for the parents? How does the child feel about themselves?

Floating represents difference here, not literal superpowers. Watch the film with that in mind.

Discussion: 
Describe the movie in 3–4 sentences. Do Homework
What is the only line spoken aloud in the film? What does it tell you about how the father feels? Do Homework
How does the child react to his father's words? What does that tell you about how the child feels? Do Homework
What experiences have you had with children or adults who are different from others? Do Homework

The ancient giant shrimp

According to Shape of Life, an online resource on everything related to animals, the Anomalocaris (ah-NOM-ah-LAH-kariss), from the Greek meaning “unusual shrimp”, was a major predator of the ancient seas during the Cambrian Explosion 530 million years ago. 

It grew up to 182 centimetres (almost 6 feet) long and had eyes with thousands of lenses, which gave the Anomalocaris extremely sharp vision. It was a fast swimmer, and once it caught up to its prey, the creature could grab it using front limbs equipped with sharp spikes on each segment. This combination of excellent vision, speed and spiky front arms would have made it a formidable predator.

The Anomalocaris’ mouth was composed of 32 overlapping plates. Some scientists interpret this as meaning that it could easily crush prey.

Discussion: 
Please summarize this article in two simple sentences. Do Homework
What other ancient animals do you know of? Can you describe some? Do Homework
What can humanity learn about itself through paleontology (the study of the history of life on Earth through fossils)? Do Homework

The Xupermask

Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas has designed a high-tech face mask that looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. Called Xupermask, it has three dual-speed fans to keep you cool, and a design to keep you looking cool. The real money-grabbers are noise-canceling headphones, LED lights for nighttime, and Bluetooth capability. You can listen to music, take and make calls, and put on your own light show while wearing this thing. It doesn't come cheap, but at $299, it costs less than a set of Bose headphones, and a lot less than a mobile phone! And you can use the Xupermask for both, with a bonus face mask thrown in.

The look of the Xupermask was designed by Jose Fernandez. He created Elon Musk's spacesuits, and Marvel characters' costumes in the Avengers, Black Panther, and X-Men 2. So you know it's going to look out of this world.

Fashion and tech companies are betting on face masks being a part of our lives for a while, and that high-tech sci-fi masks will attract consumers with money to spend on The Next Big Thing. Are you one of them?

Discussion: 
Would you wear this mask? Would you spend $300 for it? Why or why not? Edit Homework
Describe the attitude of people in your country to fashionable face masks. Do they like to wear them? Or do they prefer plain ones? What does this tell you about the culture? Do Homework
In your opinion, will the fashion and tech industries' bets pay off? Or will people stop wearing masks once the pandemic is under control? Do Homework
What does it mean to be "cool"? Do Homework

Workers struggling and burning out

Bloomberg News reports that according to Microsoft's Work Trend Index, which polled 30,000 people from a variety of companies in 31 countries and used trillions of data points, the majority of workers feel they are struggling or just surviving in pandemic work conditions and a large percentage are considering leaving their employer this year.

Nearly half of respondents said they are planning to move to a new location this year, which reflects the greater flexibility of working from home. Also, 41% of those surveyed said they're mulling leaving their jobs. The data found that burnout is widespread: 54% of workers said they are overworked and 39% said they are exhausted. 

However, the struggles of employees during the Covid-19 pandemic are being overlooked by their managers and company leaders, who were the only group polled in which a majority said they are thriving. Workers between 18 and 25 years old are fearing the worst. Researchers theorize that their feelings of isolation are higher because they are more likely to be early in their careers and single.  While the leaders who are doing well are mostly male, the survey found women, frontline workers and new employees also reported many challenges.

Discussion: 
Do you think that the challenges and problems mentioned in this article apply to your country? Do Homework
How has the pandemic changed your workstyle? Do you think it is an improvement or a challenge for you? How about for most people? Edit Homework
Does senior management have a responsibility to ensure the well-being of its youngest staff members? Why or why not? Do Homework

Daylight Saving, autumn down under

Here in Melbourne, Australia, we are heading into the colder months. 

Daylight Saving has just ended, so we moved our clocks back an hour. On the plus side, we all got an extra hour of sleep over the weekend. But it also means the sun sets an hour earlier. 

If I want to catch the daylight, I have to walk the dog earlier. I also have to put better lights on my bicycle because I'm cycling more often around twilight and dusk.

But as a Canadian, I love this cool weather. I love crisp autumn mornings and wearing sweaters in the evening. I can go for a run without constantly worrying about dehydration. It is all much more familiar than the typical Australian summer with sweltering days and warm nights.

So I'm happy to bid farewell to the summer and start these cooler, shorter days. I know a lot of people feel differently. To each their own!

Discussion: 
How does the author feel about Autumn? Why? Do Homework
Does Daylight Savings Time affect you? Do Homework
Can you vividly describe the weather where you are? Do Homework
What is your absolute favourite weather? Why? Do Homework