This lesson will focus on using a variety of expressions related to ease.
You will learn 6 idioms describing ease. You will also get a chance to talk about your own experiences.
What do you find easy in your job?
Please consider each expression. Your instructor has an example and a question regarding each one, so please practice it.
- a piece of cake—very easy.
- a walk in the park—very simple and easy.
- nothing to worry about—not difficult; not a problem.
- no big deal—not important or serious.
- as easy as one-two-three—very easy.
- child’s play—very easy.
A. Complete the anecdote
Read each section and choose an appropriate idiom from the list above.
- Jack had to do three interviews for the job, and he had heard they were really difficult and lots of candidates failed them, so imagine his surprise when they turned out to be…
- Gary had never made a presentation before and he was worried that he would make a mistake or give a bad impression, so it was a pleasant surprise when he found that he had a natural talent for presenting, and the whole thing was…
- He thought he discovered a potentially serious problem in the plans for the new plant, but as he wasn’t an expert, he decided to consult the chief engineer and ask her opinion. She took a look and said that construction should continue because there was…
- You might think the new contract is vital to the continuing success of the brand, but the CEO doesn’t see it that way at all. There will be bigger contracts and better clients in the future. This one is…
- In her first day on the production line, Margaret was really confused with all the technology and machinery she had to learn to deal with. One of her new colleagues, Edwina, told her that it wasn’t as hard as it looked. In fact, she said, it was…
- Older people sometimes struggle to understand new technology This is quite hard to understand if you are younger because to you, a new tablet might seem like…
Use idioms to discuss the following topics.
- What do older people find confusing about technology today?
- Should we take global warming seriously?
- What solutions can you offer to the growing energy crisis?