The English Farm stands for education with purpose.
We have been certified carbon positive since April 1st 2018 by Ekos of New Zealand. That means we have intentionally over-estimated our carbon footprint, and so The English Farm is effectively a tree—we are locking up more carbon than we produce.
The English Farm offsets all carbon emissions for the entire staff (teachers, support staff and management). This includes estimates of electricity consumption from teaching lessons, as well as waste, electricity and travel. We also offset carbon emissions resulting from students taking lessons (by estimating carbon emissions from the electricity consumed when taking a class).
Every year, we give scholarships for English lessons to up to 12 students through HLAB, who selects promising university students in Japan who want to work for international companies. The English Farm helps exceptional young people get the best start to their careers.
TEF supporting the community
Every month, The English Farm chooses an employee of the month. As part of the recognition for their efforts, the member of staff nominates a charity that is important to them and their community. The English Farm makes a donation on their behalf.
- La Palma Cats (Betty, October 2018)
- Auckland City Mission (Kahu, November 2018)
- Mercy Ships (Bret, December 2018)
- Dementia UK (Kevin, January 2019)
- The Common Unity Project Aotearoa (James, February 2019)
- L’Arche Ottawa (Di, March 2019)
- Walking the Thames Path (Craig, April 2019)
- KidsCan (Akiko, May 2019)
- Nature Conservancy Canada (Pamela, June 2019)
- Teach for India (Aditya, July 2019)
- Dementia UK (Diane, August 2019)
- DonorsChoose.org (Andrew, September 2019)
- Welcome Hall Mission (Ilia, October 2019)
- Alto Arapiuns (Rhys, November 2019)
- Safe Woman Safe Family (Marc, December 2019)
- Child Rescue Nepal (Nadim, January 2020)
- World Health Organization (Tina, February 2020)
- Montreal Neurological Institute-Hospital (Helen, March 2020)
- Breast Cancer Research Foundation (Tanner, April 2020)
- Safe Woman Safe Family (Skye, May 2020)
- Peace Winds Japan (Aki, June 2020)
- SOUL: Save Our Unique Landscape (Kahu, July 2020)
We endeavour to use socially responsible services wherever possible, such as Thankyou Payroll.
Other supported charities:
To date, we have donated a total of more than USD8,000 to the above charities and causes.