Europe is not more dangerous because of terrorism
A common misconception is that Europe is becoming more and more dangerous because of an apparent increase in terrorist attacks. In fact, Europe in the 1970s was much more dangerous. Study this lesson, and you will realise that the facts and data do not support the idea that terrorism is making Europe more dangerous.
Before this class, make sure you have read the text of the article below.
Do you read the news? Why do you think it is important to be informed?
This is a discussion lesson. Before we do that, let's check that you understood the article:
- Summarise the main points of the article.
- What are the caveats to the conclusion the article reaches?
Talk about the following with your teacher:
- Has there ever been a terrorist attack in your city or country? Tell your teacher about it.
- After reading the article, did you change your opinion of terrorism? If you did, in what way?
- What do you think about this chart? Explain what it shows and your thoughts on it.
- Why do you think we have such a fear of terrorism then?