If you need to work from home, there are some important things you can do to maintain productivity. With the right setup and the right approach, working from home can be very enjoyable.
At The English Farm, we have been an online school since our founding in 2012. We communicate with team members overseas and manage our time between working with global students and projects. Here are 5 tips we have gathered:
- Workspace matters. Try to set up an area without visual distractions. The fewer things you have to look at, the easier it is to focus on your job. This includes pens, books, cables, and pictures. Clear all those things away from your desk area and put them in drawers.
- Routine matters. Schedule the time that you work, and work within that time. Finding your routine can be the hardest lesson to learn, but it is the most effective for improving work-life balance.
- Digital communication takes longer than in person. When you have things to discuss with your colleagues, try to do it using video chat. It's especially important when working through a disagreement or aligning your goals at the beginning of a project. While it might seem easier to write a message, it often takes longer to work things out and find an agreement.
- Sleep and get exercise. Our bodies are complex, and you need to be healthy in order to think the most clearly. It might be a good idea to start doing yoga or meditation.
- Make rules for yourself. Here's an example. You may love silly podcasts. So your rule is that you only listen to them while cleaning the house. Or maybe your rule might be that you watch your favorite TV show only after studying English for 30 minutes.
At the time of writing, we are living through the COVID-19 pandemic. But, even after this virus subsides, it may be necessary for you to find a way to work from home effectively.
As all of The English Farm's teachers work from home, ask your teacher if you have any questions about how they do it.